Author Topic: Cleaning Up the forum  (Read 318 times)

steveoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fishyfish
Cleaning Up the forum
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
I just sent out an email newsletter with the content of "Testing, one, two, three". The purpose is to see what email addresses bounce. Once I have a list, I'll be pruning the user list on the forum. My humble apologies for deleting any accounts with bad email addresses. But the clean up must go on.

Up next, we're going to see if we can get what once was a great forum back to be being busy and full of up to date information.

Several years ago the forum had a horrible glitch that allowed a massive amount of bots to infiltrate, and to eventually start spamming. We killed off the vBulletin forum of that time, cleared out the spam bots, and ported over the content and users to an SMF forum. But the damage was done. A thriving community died.

So, what is the answer? I think it's simple, and that's for folks to start posting. Folks should invite their friends over to join the forum, and contribute.

Why contribute to this forum when there are so many others out there?  First reason I think is that we have tended to be region specific, Northern California, that is.

Second, the forum has had the focus of hot rodding, and seeing how much horsepower and torque we can coax out of our diesel beasts. It's also a great place to post problems and ask for help in finding solutions. Sooner or later we are all stumped by a problem. It's great of folks to answer questions, and give back to the community.

Also, one huge difference with the NorCal Diesel Forum is that there are no ads here. Zip, Zero, Nada.  I think this is an awesome thing.

Ideas? Answers? Questions? What do you folks want with a NorCal Diesel Forum?

Fire away.

Steveoh

nevrenufhp

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning Up the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »
There were bots that took over a bunch of forums(more than Vbulletin) a few years ago. Since then, most forums have dried up by a huge margin.

I do have one suggestion: Have a facebook page that highlights and links back to this page. It will naturally draw locals in.
work rig: 94 IH 4900, DT466(P-pumped), 0 plate, tighter gov springs, and 22* timing.
67 F100, 300, 4V
08 VW R32 #302 of 5000.

my low buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp

steveoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fishyfish
Re: Cleaning Up the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
There were bots that took over a bunch of forums(more than Vbulletin) a few years ago. Since then, most forums have dried up by a huge margin.

I do have one suggestion: Have a facebook page that highlights and links back to this page. It will naturally draw locals in.

Oh, yeah. I'd neglected FB! Thanks for hollering back.